National Archives of Thailand
The National Archives of Thailand is an Thai government agency under Fine Arts Department ,the Ministry of Culture, established in 1916 (B.E.2459) as a section of Vajirayan National library or the Bangkok National library. It has become and functioned as a division of the Fines Arts department since 1952 (B.E) 2495). The office are located the same area of the National Library at Samsen road, Bangkok. The address is National archives of Thailand , Tha- Vasukree,Samsen Road.,Bangkok,Thailand 10300. Tel 662-2821847,Fax.662-6285172 E-mail :
The National Archives is responsible for collecting , preserving public and other historical records because of their archival value and make them available for public. We also are advisor for government agencies on records management and records preservation.
As the government's national archive , we hold records from the reign of King Rama IV to the present time for everyone to discover and use. The National Archives' collection of over 1 million historical government and public records , our collection includes paper , photographs, posters, maps, videos tapes and sound recordings.
As a general rule, government records are transferred to The National Archives when they are 30 years old under the Prime Minister’s Regulation on Records Keeping issued in 1983 (B.E.2526 and second and additional version , B.E.2548. Archivists will appraise those records which contain historical values for permanent preservation. Moreover valuable records donated by individuals who are interested in the archives affairs also preserved as archival collections.
The information below should help you decide whether we hold the material you are looking for.
Types of records we hold include:
Government and personal records
Earlier handwritten records dating back King Rama IV
Records of Government Administration
Photographs, Maps, Video and Audio Visuals Material
Regulation on the Permission of Foreign Researchers to Conduct
Research in National Archives of Thailand
1. Request for regulation on the Permission of Foreign Researchers to Conduct Research in Thailand and application form as attached from the Royal Thai Embassy or The Nation Research Council of Thailand on telephone number 662-5612445, 662-9406369, 662-5792690
2. Upon receiving the National Research Council of Thailand letter of permission and have permission from the Director-General of the Fine Arts Department, the researcher must submit it to National Archives
3. Fill in the researcher registration form in the reading room and attach your 2 pictures (size 1 inchs)
4. Before enter the reading room please keep your belonging in locker do not bring copying equipments and food into reading room please turn off mobile phone in reading room
5. Fill in request form when you want document for researching
6. Fill in photographic copying service form when you want to copy document
7. Fill in photographic copying service form when you want to copy document
8. Please check your document before returning it to officer